Danro was bought by Positive ID Labelling in November 2014 and moved from its base in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire to the Positive ID Labelling base in Melbourne, South Derbyshire. Since then, we have fully intergrated and rationalised the businesses into one base although we continue to trade as separate businesses in their own names.
Positive ID Labelling MD John Mayers saw the need for Nutrition Labelling solutions in the wake of the EU Food Information to Consumer Regulations coming into full force in December 2016. To that end, the company has invested in developing a robust and easy to use Nutrition Calculation Software for small and large businesses to help them meet the legislation requirements. Nutridata was launched in May 2016 and is availabel to buy online from the Nutridata Website.
The main changes coming into effect as a result of this regulation are:
- Bigger Text on labels being no smaller than point size of about 7
- Inclusion of allergen information in ingredient lists
- Exclusion of allergen decalrations anywhere other than in the ingredient lists
- Addition of strict nutrition labelling guidance on all pre-packaged foods
- Strict rules on the front of pack nutrition declarations and ‘traffic light’ systems on packaging
All pre-packaged food for sale away from the point of manufacture must be labelled with a defined set of nutrition data. This includes:
- Energy in kilojoules (kJ)
- Energy in kilocalories (kcal)
- Fat (in grams)
- Saturated Fat (g)
- Carbohydrate (g)
- Sugar (g)
- Protein (g)
- Salt (g)
This must be declared per 100g (or 100ml) of product and can optionally be declared by serving, pack or unit (e.g. a biscuit or chocolate square)
John Mayers, MD Danro and Positive ID Labelling
You can download a free evaluation copy of the software from the Nutridata Website and if you choose to buy, you can get a special Danro customer discount of 10% by using the coupon code Danro10 when you buy. The discount code applies until December 13th 2016 so buy now!
You can find out more about the regulations by visiting a technical presentation on the website by clicking here: EUFIC Summary